Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Courage


I'm not funny.  What I am is brave.  - Lucille Ball

Wow!  I'm so excited to have heard from so many of you, and so soon.  You see, I was afraid that I'd start this blog and no one would be interested in it.  I figured the worst case scenario is that I could be like the penguin in the picture above, I could be brave, and then run like hell if I didn't get any response.

I'm glad I didn't listen to that nasty little chatterbox in my head, (it really needs to shut up!).  I don't know about you guys but I have positive me on one shoulder telling me, "You can do it!" and negative me on the other saying ,"Yeah, really."  Frankly I wish my negative side had more energy.  It's easier to fight against things you know are untrue, like, "you're stupid, you're incompetent, you have zero talent, you're skinny," then the lazy dismissal of, "Yeah, really."

It's disheartening to realize that I've been fighting a battle with "Yeah, really" for most of my life.  It would be more impressive if it was something more important, but the fact is that for most of us it's the little things that hold us back. 

A stupid comment from a stranger, a roll of the eyes of a friend, a parent's "I'll believe it when I see it."  It's these little niggling things that keep us from achieving our goals.  Sometimes I think I should take these little things and turn them around.  It's kind of like the Seinfeld episode when George decides he's going to do the opposite.  What would happen I wonder, if I didn't hear "Yeah, really" in a negative way?  What if I could teach myself to hear "Yeah, I'm Really going to do that and I'm going to do it now!"?  What power that would have. 

As far as the blog goes, I've been thinking about doing it for a very long time.  I'm so fed up with people being treated unkindly basically because they're good people.  Us quiet, shy, unassuming folks are the ones that get pounded on the most.  Bullies spot us a mile away and make us pay for their insecurities, but no more for me!  

I used to take stuff I wouldn't take now, you know, keep my head down and try to be invisible.  It wasn't until a few years ago when I was facing middle age that I decided that I was no longer going to be a victim, that I was no longer going to allow others to determine my worth.  Now I've got to deal with that bully inside me, somehow I think it will be a harder battle!

Some of you are still dealing with outer bullies, thinking that if you could just learn to deal with them you'd be happy.  But, I believe that the inner bully is the key.  Getting that jerk to shut up will give you more courage to deal with the other bullies in your life.  I say, let's fight them both and do it together! 

Feel the fear, but do it anyway!

Susan

3 comments:

Tizzie said...

I'm working on a new quilt for a challenge.

There are a number of different issues that I'm facing. I have to use yellow and I have issues with the color. Yellow is a nice cheery color so it shouldn't be bringing me down. Yellow is my mom's favorite color. My bedroom is yellow... (There is a story and a 1/2 about that!)

I would be lying if I didn't say what the issue really is. I'm afraid that this quilt isn't going to turn out like I want it to. I'm in the midst of a battle royale between the voices.

The one that says, "Go For it! It's only fabric and time. You'll never know if it's going to work unless you try.... If it doesn't work out and you absolutely hate it, you can give it away."

The other one is saying, "What if it doesn't turn out like you want it to. You don't want to waste the fabric and time. It will just turn into another UFO. You need to keep shopping for the perfect fabrics that will guarantee it's success. There are other projects to work on that could be a sure thing..."

I did go shopping yesterday to find perfect fabrics. I bought two FQs and hated them. I ended up pulling two to replace them out of my stash that I liked better.

Tonight I WILL have the courage to cut my fabrics and get sewing!

Susan Gannon O'Connell said...

I know what you mean, that fear that you're going to spend all that time and money and then end up hating the end result.

Do you have to work on that particular quilt right now? Whenever I hit a block and things aren't working right I find it sometimes helps to set it aside and do something else for a while.

If you feel you are forcing something and you aren't comfortable with it it isn't necessarily a fear of failure. It could be that there's something in that particular project that you're fighting, maybe for a good reason. I've often had that feeling that something is just not right, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

I'd be curious to see what you're working on. If you'd like you can email me a photo to susan@fraidycatquilters.com. I'd be happy to give you some ideas and encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.