Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fighting It and Winning

What is "It'?  For me "it" is when I can't get excited about anything and everything I attempt doesn't work out.

I'm sure it happens to everyone at one time or another.  It's horrible for me because there's nothing worse for me than being bored, and when things don't work out, it's depressing.

Fortunately, I know that it's just a temporary state of mind and odds are that soon I'll be back to my semi-supercharged self.   Years ago I came up with some tricks to get me back to normal, here are a few of them:

1.  Wallow in "It":  Sometimes you need to just fully experience it to get tired of it and move on.  I love the saying "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."  Sometimes if you just go with the bored, sad state you'll get tired of it and pull yourself out.

2.  Do Mindless Tasks:  This is a great time to sort buttons, clean out a cabinet, or untangle that jumble of threads.  Doing "something" will sometimes jumpstart you.

3.  Go Shopping:  I'm not talking about going out and spending money.  In my case, I like to peruse the quilting fabric online stores and see what catches my eye.  It's a great way to get some creative mojo going.

4.  Forget About It!:  Sometimes you just have to get through it.  So what if you don't feel like quilting today.  It's not like it's the end of the world.  It might be a great time to take a walk or watch that movie you've been wanting to see.  We all need to recharge our batteries.

So,the next time you're feeling "it" remember it won't last forever!

Feel it and then recharge!

Susan

3 comments:

Staci said...

I enjoyed your post very much. As I was reading it, I realized that I actually do each of those things, but had never given them a name. I do have one to add to your list. Take a bath! I am surprised how often a really good idea hits me while soaking in hot, scented water.

Staci said...

I forgot to say--I LOVE THAT RABBIT!

Tizzie said...

I tend to be a wallower.

I've had more than one person tell me that I don't know how to be happy and that I get off on being sad.

Maybe you could write something about that?