Sunday, January 23, 2011

I don't know about you but sometimes I feel like I've lost whatever brains I had!

I think as we get older we have so much to remember that it's not surprising that somethings fall through the cracks.   I know it's true in my case.  I used to be one of those people that no one would play Trivial Pursuit with.  All kinds of unusual facts were easily recalled, even things I didn't even know I knew!

Not so anymore, I'm always looking for my glasses, my keys, my marbles....I know I left them somewhere....

You know it's bad when your son can finance his college education with the dollars you give him for finding your glasses!

You younger folks also have too much to remember.  It seems like life is so much more complicated than it used to be.  Just think of what you have to know to use a computer.  It's like a whole other world to those of us who grew up with manual typewriters and rotary dial phones.  My son still can't comprehend the 3 TV channels we had when I was a kid, or the fact that calculators cost $200 when I was in high school.

I know that forgetting things is a pain.  Especially when quilting.  I know that I've forgotten that I wanted to cut 2.5" strips instead of 2" ones....only remembering after they were all cut.  Duh!  Not to mention confusing row orders and trimming off too much on finished blocks.  I try to "idiot proof" everything in my life as much as possible, but even that doesn't always work.

It's frustrating when you make mistakes because you "forgot."  It happens to everyone but it isn't the end of the world.  Heck, sometimes the only laughs I have are at myself and the boneheaded things I do.  It's like one long Three Stooges cooking tutorial.  You never know what I'll get up to!
The only advice I have for you is that if you do something boneheaded or forget what you're supposed to do, just laugh it off.  Life's too short to beat yourself up too badly.  Besides, think of the great story you'll have to tell at the next guild meeting!

Try to remember to laugh it off!

Susan

2 comments:

MariƩ said...

It sound just like me! Thanks for the advice not to beat yourself up. I also discovered one must keep it secret- other people (children, husband, workers) take advantage of this fact and want to tell you, you said things you never did- and then use your bad memory (of which I have loudly complained) against one!

Staci said...

This is my theme song! And the reason my blog is called the confused quilter. I do dopey stuff all the time. Just today I was doing some paper piecing and realized after I applied the third piece and trimmed it that I never pressed the second piece into place, and since I neglected that vital step, there wasn't going to be enough fabric on one edge. I not only wasn't going to have enough for the seam allowance, I wasn't even going to have enough in the one spot to cover the actual block. So, 8 units into the trash. Waste of time and fabric. Put it all away. I can't face today.