Thursday, January 20, 2011

Testing Yourself

I was a bit of a freak as a student.  I actually liked tests!  I know, I am crazy, but for some reason I always found them enjoyable.  It's kind of the same thrill you get when you answer the questions on Jeopardy correctly.  Of course it helped that I was the kind of student who studied and was always well prepared.

As a quilter I also like to test myself, to see how far I can take things.  In the same way I studied for tests, I also make sure I'm prepared to tackle whatever quilting project I'm taking on. 

I think it's important to challenge yourself, but there's no quicker way to get discouraged then to tackle a project that's well beyond your current skill set.  A realistic assessment of where you are as a quilter is important information for you to have.  If you're just starting then it's obvious that you're a beginner and you should work on those kinds of projects until you have the basic skills down.  Then slowly add more challenges as you get involved in more complicated and difficult projects, making sure that you take your time to conquer each challenge as you move forward.

It's important to be prepared and confident as you continue to challenge yourself.  Take classes, read books, and ask questions of more experienced quilters.  And, above all, don't get discouraged if a quilt doesn't work out as planned, every quilter has unfinished quilts, it comes with the territory!

So, be prepared before you test yourself, and odds are you'll pass with flying colors!

Feel the fear, but do it anyway!

Susan

2 comments:

Staci said...

Nice advice for me right now. Been contemplating a couple things that are WAAAAY out of my comfort zone, and possibly my skill level. So, guess I should pull out the scrap box and give them a go. I'll never know until I actually try it.

Staci said...

Nice advice for me right now. Been contemplating a couple things that are WAAAAY out of my comfort zone, and possibly my skill level. So, guess I should pull out the scrap box and give them a go. I'll never know until I actually try it.