Sunday, March 13, 2011

Time Flies.....

                        
Today is the day that most of us in the U.S. lose an hour. 

When I was a child the day we lost the hour was the worst day of the year.  My father worked long hours and his main pleasure was sleep.  He loved to sleep, and the thought that he just lost an hour of it was too much to take.  Of course, until we were teenagers we actually thought that the day we got the hour back in the fall was a national holiday.  Now that's a great day!

Isn't it interesting how when you are young time seems to go by so slowly?  I remember wishing that time would go faster so it would be summer and I wouldn't have to go to school.  Now I'm at the point in my life where time goes by so fast I can almost feel it rushing past me.  The hard part is that although my body is older, (and boy do I feel that when the weather gets cold!), my mind is still young.   So, my mind wants to do all of these things, but my body and my adult responsibilities mean I often have to put things off.

I hate that!  I'm one of these people who used to pride herself on doing two or three things at a time. As moms we do it all the time!  When I was younger it was easier, but now that menopause has settled in, I've found that I'm not so quick on the uptake and am more likely to forget one of my "multi-tasks" as I'm doing it.  Not particularly efficient.

I've been fighting this for a while, usually by piling more stuff on my plate, thinking that if I have more to do I'll find a way to get it done.  Not!  What I ended up with is a few things done OK, more things done halfway, and a lot of things completely forgotten and not done at all!

Lately, my design business has picked up, and I've been dealing with family illnesses, and my son's school and sport obligations.  For a while I tried to do it all, all at once, but it didn't take me long to accept that it's just not possible.  One of the things I had to cut back on was my blogging, which was hard for me.  I enjoy writing, and it's fun hearing back from my readers.  I also didn't want people to give up on me, or think I'd disappeared.

The fact is that I've had to make choices, and unfortunately they haven't all been about what's fun for me.  I guess that's what happens when you have a family; you can't live without them, but having them in your life requires a certain amount of personal sacrifice.  Sure, if I didn't have my parents, siblings, husband, son, and friends, I could get a lot more done.   But who would I share it with?  Like so much in life dealing with how you spend your time is one big compromise.

I haven't done any sewing at all for a few weeks.  I managed to get a quilt pieced and started on it, but then I got sidetracked and haven't even looked at it for a couple of weeks.  Fortunately, for me, these non productive quilting times usually end up with me having a spurt of new creative energy.  I hope I have some spurts left!

The point I want to make is that as much as we love quilting, sometimes we have to take care of other things first.  Even if we have stacks of fabric waiting for us, (and we feel guilty about not doing anything with them), we need to accept that sometimes we won't be in the mood, or have the time to do it.  Life has a way of getting in the way of our best laid plans.  As long as we aren't using what happens in our life as an excuse to avoid sharing our creativity, it's Ok to take a break now and then.  Sometimes you have to put your time on "auto pilot" and just let it fly.

Happy Stitching,

Susan

No comments: