Sunday, March 28, 2021

ABOUT ME

 


Welcome to Fraidy Cat Quilters! 

My name is Susan O’Connell, and I started this blog back in 2011.
 
When I started this blog I had another blog called "The Cranky Quilter," which I had started in 2009. I was thrilled when it was named one of the top 50 Quilting Blogs by Quilter's Home Magazine. I enjoyed writing about quilting and showing my work on "The Cranky Quilter," but something else was calling me.

From time to time on "The Cranky Quilter" I'd write an article about something that was bothering me. A rude clerk at an LQS, a comment I heard a quilter make about another, but mostly it was about how people aren't kind to each other enough. Whenever I wrote one of those pieces there would be lots of comments and I'd even get personal emails from people who had been hurt by others denigrating them in one way or another.

I was fortunate not to be bullied as a child.  Part of it is that my older brother was very protective and one of the biggest kids at school, and frankly part of it was me. For some reason even as a young child I didn't let the bullies bother me. If they did I'd just ignore them. I actually remember a few cases when someone would say something nasty and my response was, "Is that the best you've got?"

Why I was like this I have no idea. I was terribly shy, and yet I had no problem standing up for myself and defending my friends. There is nothing that makes me angrier than someone thinking it's OK to attack another person for any reason.  If you have a disagreement, talk it out. But attacking someone just to make them feel small and you feel powerful is not going to fly with me.

I had to give up this blog ten years ago. Life became more complicated, I was asked to be part of a new business opportunity, and my family suffered several rounds of illnesses and deaths. Somehow, quilting and my blogging life faded into the background.

It's 11 years later and I'm post-menopausal, retired, and have a lot more years of life experience. The years haven't always been kind, but I'm still standing, (and quilting), and I still have a lot to say.
 
I've been quilting for at least 45 years, and am barely in my sixth decade of life. A few years ago our family moved to a small rural community in Oregon from our suburban home in the Bay Area. We love it here in our house on the hill; 20 acres, a barn, great neighbors, and finally, my own quilt studio!

One thing that hasn't changed is my passion for encouraging others to pursue their dreams, and to stand up for themselves and others. Life is tough enough without having to deal with bullies of any kind, even the biggest one we live with every day, ourselves.

I am an artist first and foremost, and so am inspired by what I see. The graphics I design for this blog are often the starting point for my articles. I see something that makes me think, and off I go. I hope you will enjoy the journey with me.

Starting April 1, 2021, I intend to post a new article every other day. An open thread will be available every day for those who wish to participate. I intend to drop in often so if you have questions, that's a great place to start.

You can also reach me at my email address, susanatgillygaloofus@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan



No comments: