Thursday, April 1, 2021

WELCOME




“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”           -Marianne Williamson

  

Hello Everyone! 

Quilting is one of those crafts where everyone's an expert, (or thinks they are!).  It involves a complex set of skills and steps and can seem overly complicated and difficult if it's approached in the wrong way.  

To be a quilter you need to be able to make a good fabric selection, pattern choice, cut accurately and on grain, sew straight even seams, press well, (and know how to press when), match points, maintain the proper 90 degree angles on blocks and the overall quilt, piece backings, baste layers, quilt by hand or machine, and apply binding while mitering corners.

Whew!  I don't know about you but I'm tired just explaining it!

Now imagine what happens when you're trying to learn all of these things?  Wouldn't it be overwhelming?  Besides the fact that many quilters belong to guilds or groups and get "advice" from everyone they know who's even seen a quilt.  Not to mention the “quilt police” who are everywhere. It can be disheartening and intimidating.  It doesn't need to be.

I'm hoping that Fraidy Cat Quilters will be a place people can come to ask questions, talk through problems, and address their own issues without rancor, with humor, and a touch of humility from us veterans.  Besides, sometimes we just need a place to vent!

I started this blog in 2011, but ended up having to give it up because, as it often does, life got in the way. Now that I’m retired and my son is an adult, I have more time, and hopefully more knowledge and experience. So, the plan is to post here every couple of days or so, and an open thread for those who want to share their experiences, and vent if they need to.

Everyone needs encouragement and deserves to be treated with respect. For that reason I will be moderating comments and anything derogatory in any way will be deleted and the commenter may be blocked. I want this to be a safe space where the goal is to be encouraging and respectful. We all have a lot we can learn from each other.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and encourage you to comment just to let me know you're there!  I used to think it was whiny when bloggers kept asking for comments but I've come to realize that it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.  I don't mind being "a voice crying in the wilderness" but it would be a lot more fun with a little company.

Since it’s been ten years since I posted here last, I’m going to be updating and republishing some of my old posts. I’ve been reading them and realized that a lot has changed in ten years, but our lives still contain the same types of issues and problems. There are still bullies, and bossy people, and those who really should just keep their big mouths shut and mind their own business. It’s a shame.

So, I hope you will enjoy stopping by and getting a dose of encouragement and even some peace knowing you aren’t the only one struggling with one thing or another. We’ve all been there, more than once.

In the past I’ve received some great emails from readers with wonderful questions and some really sad stories. If you email me I will answer back, and I will never publish anything you don’t give me permission to publish. I’m not a therapist or any kind of expert. I’m just someone who’s “been there, done that” and wants to encourage others to not let the turkeys get you down.

If you want to contact me directly you can email me at susanatgillygaloofus@gmail.com

Below is our first "open thread," let's get the ball rolling by coming up with some great topics to discuss in future threads.

Susan




No comments: